- Committed to modeling, promoting and multiplying a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Willing to become a member of Bethel Baptist Church and subscribe to and endorse the church statement of faith, the church constitution, and the church covenant.
- Committed to the vision, direction and leadership of Bethel Baptist Church.
- A pastor’s heart and a model of prayer.
- At least 3 years of experience in worship, preferably in a full-time position.
- A learner, growing in an understanding of worship and worship leading.
- Ability to work with people, build teams, promote teamwork, and delegate responsibility.
- A proportionate giver with tithing as a norm.
- Strong knowledge of worship culture and ability to learn new ways of reaching and moving people.
- Earned degrees and/or other credentials that have equipped them for the duties of the role.
- Lead Bethel in worship that is designed to touch the whole person (John 4:19-24).
- Recruit, train and shepherd worship teams that lead Bethel in worship.
- Plan all aspects of corporate worship experiences at Bethel including seasonal services (Christmas Eve, Good Friday, Easter, etc.).
- Lead both traditional and contemporary worship services.
- Create and maintain the annual worship budget.
- Supervise, recruit and train the worship tech. teams including all sound, video and lighting. We currently use Propresenter, backing tracks and Aviom monitors for the band.
- Oversee Student Ministries worship teams which include jr. high and high school students.
- Build teams within worship and creative arts that help promote and encourage the “Heart of the Artist”. This would include, but would not be limited to music, visual arts, media and the spoken word.
- Work with the Senior Pastor and others to create a worship “environment” each Sunday morning that invites people to meet the living God.
- Build a worship ministry that represents the diversity of our congregation and community.
- Coordinate platform set design and installations.
- Provide opportunities for using our facilities for concerts, weddings, funerals and community events.
- Shepherd their ministry team members through prayer and encouragement.
- Lead with a servant’s heart.
- Find ways to collaborate with like-minded churches to promote the important value of worship.
- Meet regularly with the Senior Pastor to evaluate previous worship services and plan for future services.
- Be a team player, striving to collaborate with the rest of the Bethel staff and volunteers to accomplish common goals.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Attend necessary elder meetings.
- Provide counseling, visitation and other pastoral duties as needed.
- Willing and able to preach and teach as an optional responsibility.
SALARY RANGE AND HOURS: This is a full-time position with salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Director of Worship and Creative Arts reports directly to the Senior Pastor.
Bethel Baptist Church began over one hundred years ago as Swedish Baptist Church of Galesburg. Bethel has a rich heritage and an established reputation in the community for being a family Bible Church. With a catalyst of growth, through several building campaigns and name changes over the years Bethel now enjoys its facility on the corner of Academy and Fremont Streets. The most recent building projects in the early 2000’s resulted in the new worship center and learning center that were constructed debt free. Through everything, the Lord has blessed Bethel, and today we dedicate ourselves to furthering His mission, to reach our community for Him.
In July of 2014, Pastor Scott Wilson was installed as the new Senior Pastor after the retirement of Pastor Lee Johnson who served faithfully for 26 years. The church has benefited from stable leadership. David Wells has been the Director of Worship Ministries for over 10 years and is transitioning to a church closer to his aging parents in October. Two years ago, Weston Oxley moved from his youth ministry role to become our Adult Ministries Pastor. In August of 2017 Zach Klundt became our Director of Youth Ministries. While our church has experienced some staff transitions over the past few years we eagerly anticipate exciting adventures and new challenges as God continues to use us for His glory.
Interested and experienced candidates may submit requested information to Bethel Baptist Church via email to
Please include the following information
- A cover letter communicating your heart for leading worship, a short explanation of why you believe you’re qualified, and three unique skills or convictions you bring to the local church.
- 1- page resume
- Video link of you leading worship in a variety of settings or styles